Friday, September 14, 2007

[Fiction] Friday # 20

[Fiction] Friday Challenge for September, 14 2007:
Write a story, poem, or essay from the point of view of an inanimate object.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Hello there! I'm Chinese teapot made by a master potter near the town of Yixing in China. That is why I am called Yixing teapot. I was shipped to Chinese tea emporium in Montreal Canada. I sat on shelf for many months while customers made big fuss over more fancy Yixing teapots then myself.If you are familiar with Yixing teapots you know that they can look like tree stump or have dragons and monkeys on them or shaped like flowers or vegetables. Many styles. I 'Little Melon' teapot. They no understand my simple beauty. All Yixing made by hand. It take many hours to make one. The best Yixing teapots made with Zisha, purple sand, clay. I made with two clay. One Zisha and also with Zhuni, reddish brown, clay. This is what makes me so special but no one understand until one day my present owner come to shop and recognize my beauty.

My present owner understand because he is potter himself and able to see the beauty in my simplicity. My perfect handle. My equally perfect spout and my blend of two clay. He buy me and take me home and even though he not Chinese man he know how to cure me so I can make delicious tea. He put me in a pot and cover me with water and add special High Mountain Oolong tea that he love to drink. He bring pot to slow boil for one hour, then let me sit in pot until tea is cold. He take me out, dry me and now I am ready to be used. My owner brewed his favorite tea in me for eight years. My pores are so full of the taste and aroma of the High Mountain tea my owner only has to add boiling water to me to make tea I am very special teapot.

Not all owners use their teapots. Some collect them and put them on shelf to admire and show off to friends. My owner keeps me in his studio and uses me every day. he say to me Lttle melon your beauty inspires and your tea relaxes me. It's true! I no make this up. He say that. I feel special feeling. I happy I no showoff teapot on shelf. I happy I please master.

9 comments:

Jo September 14, 2007 at 3:59 AM  

Now that is a beautiful teapot and I enjoyed his tale too, especially the curing side of things (I never knew).

Boricua in Texas September 14, 2007 at 6:01 AM  

Awww. This made me want to go out and buy a teapot. I especially love this line: "I happy I no showoff teapot on shelf." We all need to feel useful in life, even a teapot.

paisley September 14, 2007 at 6:54 AM  

very clever.. i am glad i am not the only one that finds comfort in the companionship of my tea pot....

gautami tripathy September 14, 2007 at 10:21 AM  

I liked the language used here. Chinese English!

:D

Merrie Destefano September 14, 2007 at 11:57 AM  

Love the teapot--but I really liked the one about Peter Pan, too! Great job.
:)
Merrie

josie2shoes September 14, 2007 at 1:32 PM  

Delightful teapot tale, Webster!

Tumblewords: September 14, 2007 at 7:04 PM  

Clever work. The voice of the teapot was realistic and honest. The new owner appreciating the simplicity of the teapot because he himself is a potter adds another layer as did the lesson in curing this teapot. Enjoyable read!

SuseADoodle September 14, 2007 at 9:12 PM  

"I little tea pot, short an' stout ..." but not just any old teapot. Yixing -- truly only one who is one with the clay can understand ... did not know you had to cure a Yixing to use it. So much better than a porcelain bit of flimsy fluff, eh?

Ther September 14, 2007 at 10:16 PM  

i really enjoyed reading this. and the way the teapot talk, i can clearly say he's chinese. he seems so proud. =)