Sunday, February 3, 2008

THE KING OF FRUITS

Photobucket

Durian is said to be Asia's 'King of Fruits'. If this is true the King is in serious need of a bath.

The smell of this fruit is so foul it is banned on public transportation and is not allowed in some Hotels in fact hotel doormen will bar entry to anyone trying to smuggle one into their establishment.

How bad can it be? you say. I personally can say that it was a room clearing experience but not to everyone. Afficiandos find the smell irresistable and can't wait to dig into it's custard like flesh. Getting it past your nose is the biggest hurdle for the rest of us. Believe me if you have unwanted guests coming over run down to the supermarket and buy one of these babies and cut it open when they arrive. Odds are in your favor that it will be the shortist visit on record. You of course you will probably have to bury the bugger in the back yard and go out for dinner and a movie while your house airs itself out. If you live in an apartment the neighbors will be phoning the fire department reporting a gas leak and evacuating the building.

The reason for the foul odor is because the fruit contains sulpher compounds. The smell has been likened to year old gym socks, rotting onions, moldy French cheese. ( Some Asians believe that Durian are like some cheeses the stinkier they are the better the taste.) The best descrition I have read is one that compared it to a sewer full of rotting pineapples. Yummm!
Seriously though, you will either love this fruit or hate it. There is no middle ground. Millions love this fruit and can't wait for it to come into season so they can gorge themselves on it's soft gooey custard like flesh. Someday I may get up enough nerve to force it past my nose and into my mouth and actually taste it to see what all the fuss is about but until then it is the foulest smelling fruit on the planet,

Photobucket

9 comments:

Heather February 4, 2008 at 12:26 PM  

Wow... I have never heard of durian, and after reading this, not sure I'd want to try it either. lol You did a great job describing its foul smell!

J.C. Montgomery February 4, 2008 at 2:23 PM  

Stunning post! You've completely nailed it.

The only other person who came close to describing Durian as well as you was Anthony Bourdain on his show 'No Reservations'.

I guess as a person raised on pickled pigs feet, I should avoid showing any disdain for something such as this, however I think I will none-the-less. Ewwwww!

Thanks again for a great read!

myrtle beached whale February 4, 2008 at 3:35 PM  

Nice description of Durian, which I had never heard of. Very foul indeed. I never knew there was a King of fruits. I know the Queen of Fruits is Mangosteen, which I drink daily for nutrition. I think I will stick with it.

Anonymous,  February 5, 2008 at 3:27 PM  

I had a feeling someone would bring up the subject of durian. The foulest smelling ugliest, yet most wonderful tasting fruit known to man! Great post.

Anonymous,  February 8, 2008 at 6:04 AM  

Wonderful post about a much maligned fruit. I like the photographs too.

By the thanks for adding me to your blogroll. However, you misspelled my name. It is G-A-U-T-A-M-I.

I too will add you asap!

Anonymous,  February 8, 2008 at 3:59 PM  

Yes, you must try it. It's delicious, just don't breathe in.

paisley March 12, 2008 at 7:49 PM  

google reader is updating your posts,, but i am unable to get to them... i do not know if this means you posted and deleted two post since this one,, or if you have moved,, or if blogger is just messed up... i am interested on keeping up with you and i would appreciate if you dropped me a note to let me know the status....

Shammi March 17, 2008 at 6:35 AM  

Not just foul-smelling but disgusting to look at too! Durians CANT be smuggled - they're much too smelly! :)

Anonymous,  March 20, 2008 at 4:20 AM  

Nice post! Enjoyed visiting your blog. Please stop by