Friday, October 12, 2007

[Fiction] Friday

[Fiction] Friday #24

“I’m not one for sentimental endings. Not this time.”


Gone gone gone, gone
To find herself she said.
I didn't know that she
was lost. I was too content
to see the signposts
passing bye.

A farewell letter handwritten
in her florished script,
Purple perfumed ink,
How could something so distasteful
smell so sweet.

It was not you, but me.
I love you, but I must go.
You are too good for the likes of me,
someday we may meet again,
Who knows what fate will bring.

A mind so muddied that
Thought and reason fail to meet
All I know is that your gone.
I'm not one for sentimental
endings. Not this time.

10 comments:

~willow~ October 12, 2007 at 9:05 AM  

Funny how a large percentage of today's FF participants took this prompt and ran in a "break-up" direction, myself included :-) This piece is powerful in its simplicity. A great albeit sad read.

Merrie Destefano October 12, 2007 at 9:57 AM  

I liked it! Great job!
:)
Merrie

josie2shoes October 12, 2007 at 10:42 AM  

This bittersweet love note said it all about relationships, and how sometimes they can end in such confusing ways. Beautiful piece of work Webster!!

paisley October 12, 2007 at 10:59 AM  

and it is just as well i am sure.. no use mooning... nothing will change... excellent job....

gautami tripathy October 12, 2007 at 12:33 PM  

It isn't easy doing that. However one has to make that move at some point of time!

Jo October 12, 2007 at 1:07 PM  

So you tried your hand at poetry --cool. I love the last stanza, it really flows.

Pen October 12, 2007 at 1:58 PM  

"Purple perfumed ink,
How could something so distasteful
smell so sweet."

That was my favorite line...

This is very visual, very beautiful :o)

Anonymous,  October 12, 2007 at 11:09 PM  

Oh yikes the old, "It's not you it's me." speech. I love your take on this prompt. Well done.

PJD October 16, 2007 at 7:23 PM  

"I didn't know that she was lost." That's my favorite line, along with the distasteful purple perfumed ink. Seems like a serial dater (her) and a first-time breakup (him).