Saturday, October 13, 2007

Sunday Scribblings

#80 - First Job, Worst Job, Dream Job

Ok let me just say that I never was very good at following orders so why should it be any different this time. JOB is the only three letter swear word in the English language, at least to my limited vocabulary, which does consist of a lot of the four letter variety. It's no accident that when you get cheated you say, I got Jobbed, because that's exactly what a Job does it cheats you out of a meaningful life.

The dictionary defines it as the principal activity in your life that you do to earn money. A specific piece of work required, done as a duty or for a specific fee. It also gives reference to some old Jewish guy in the Old Testament that maintained faith in God in spite of afflictions that tested him, in other words any long suffering person who withstands affliction (job) without dispairing

Oh I hear you grumbling out there, I LOVE MY JOB! Do You? Would you do it every day for the best part of your life if you didn't get paid?

What's that? We need jobs to earn money for food and shelter. Yes I agree, little boxes on the hillside do cost money and it's best to live in the suburbs far away from the high crime rate in inner city neighborhoods. If I work hard for twenty five years I just may pay it off. (some one just told me that some banks are offering Fifty year mortgages now because the little boxes are getting more expensive, but they're all made out of ticky tack and they all look just the same.) So because I live so far away from my JOB I need to puchase a Cadillac Escalade to get me to work. Yes, I do because it has OnStar and besides Tiger Woods and David Beckham drive one. So how many years will I need to pay off a $50,000 car? Oh I forgot, the Wife will need a Minivan to take the kids to daycare and school and of course her job. She has 3 jobs, 2 of which she doesn't get paid for. I may have to get another job if I want to put away for the kids education and eat the name brand cheese dinner, starts with a K.

What's my point you say? I don't have one, someone mentioned the J word and I just freaked. The perfect job is the one you don't need, it doesn't matter if you do it today or not and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks about it. We need jobs to make money to feed desire. The more we desire the more we need to work. I read a story about a guy who worked as a computer tech for a growing software company, making a six figure salary. He worked six day weeks, fouteen hour days and one day he just decided that he had enough and quit his job. Sold his car and Condo and got a part time job as a gardener for a city park. The rest of the time was his to do with what he liked. He volunteered at food banks and hospitals, spent hours browsing through the Art Galleries and Libraries and when he got tired or bored with what the city had to offer, he packed all his belongings into one backpack and moved on. That would be my dream job, to do just enough to meet my needs so I could follow my desire to live a meaningful life.

11 comments:

paisley October 13, 2007 at 8:25 AM  

bravo... i am so with you on this... if i could i would never leave the house to work again!!!!!! what a waste of a life!!!!

josie2shoes October 13, 2007 at 11:17 AM  

Amen, Webster! I feel exactly like you. The endless desire for all things material will be the spiritual death of us all. I so agree with you that the perfect job is one you don't need - one you do purely because you love to do it, and it doesn't even require being paid.

I adored the reference to "Little Boxes" by the way - one of my very favorites!

thefirecat October 13, 2007 at 1:26 PM  

The concept of "jobs" has gotten so out of whack in modern society. Not that I think we should go back to subsistence living, but really--doing something you actively dislike to earn little green pieces of paper so you can live in your little box? So absurd! Why isn't there any more dignity in doing what you love, in loving work, in loving who you work for? When did the means become the ends?

Your comment to me, about the apple tree? I think that's the highest compliment anyone's ever paid me. Seriously. Thank you.

Pen October 13, 2007 at 1:35 PM  

Amen to that... only I am one of those people who get too fidgety if someone isn't directing a small part of my day. Though it would probably be a helluva lot more rewarding to take care of my sons full time, getting paid in hugs and kisses. ;o)

Jo October 13, 2007 at 3:20 PM  

yep, I'm with you too.

Sunday Scribblings October 13, 2007 at 4:32 PM  

I see what you mean, but I really do love both my "jobs" and I, like most writers & artists, would do (and have done) them whether I was getting paid or not. I just feel incredibly blessed that someone is paying me too!
-Laini

Jack Greening October 13, 2007 at 9:26 PM  

Sorry guys & gals, it was really just a rant. I know that there is little that we can do about the vicious circle but we should really be aware of how much time is lost paying for things that we don't need. Sunday Scribblings, yes most artists are the exception and I'm happy for you.

Tumblewords: October 13, 2007 at 11:13 PM  

Job(bing) is rather time consuming and mostly degrading to the soul... I totally agree. Well-written post.

gautami tripathy October 14, 2007 at 2:49 AM  

Well, we have to fill our bellies..

:)

I wish I could do what I most desire..to read and read and read

Anonymous,  October 14, 2007 at 9:20 AM  

I'm laughing with you about this one, I really am. But I am heavy in the belief - well, I'll quote my own blog here: "We are not the victims of the world that we live in. We have invented it. We have followed a course and now we live in it." So I'm figuring you've guessed by now that I too love my "JOB" if you can call it that at all. It's more of a passion / exploration. It's exciting and challenging and many days I don't do it at all.

Ahhhh...the good life of self-employment.

LC (lucky candice)

P.S. I loved this post - I'm a first timer on your blog.

Patois42 October 14, 2007 at 6:51 PM  

Wonderful. I've only had one or two jobs that I'd do for the pure joy I got out of it. Once they became something to be tethered to, the enjoyment vanished.